Thursday, July 28, 2011

Why Christmas Doesn't Have to Cost an Arm and a Leg

Why do we rack up so much debt around Christmas time? I mean- its the same day EVERY YEAR... we know its coming...This year, I have decided that we will not take on any more debt for the sake of buying Christmas gifts. Buying gifts on credit takes the joy out ofgiving (or it will when the bill comes!!).

My budget for EVERYONE's 2011 Christmas gifts is $500.00- but I am really hoping to come in UNDER that. With this being Logan's first Christmas, it is going to be hard. I have to buy for my two children plus 15 other people (including myself). Keep in mind some of those are couples that we will just be purchasing one joint gift for. My main funding sources for my Christmas shopping are the follwing Huggies Enjoy the Ride Rewards Program, Pampers Gifts to Grow Rewards Program, Swagbucks, and Ebates.
These programs are all FREE to use.

The diaper reward programs are my favorite. It reedem points for really good quality items. Anything from Melissa and Doug toys to gift cards to tricycles. The best part is these points come from diapers that I would be purchasing anyway. To top it off I ALWAYS buy the diapers using a coupon :)

Swagbucks is a search engine, like google, but it rewards you for searching. These "swagbucks" you win can be redeemed for lots of different things. My favorite is the $5.00 AMAZON gift card. These can add up quickly and can be saved to be used for Christmas gifts or even diapers.
Ebates is a program that pays you for shopping online. You simply go to the ebates website, find the store you want- click on the link and it will record how much you purchase. Stores range in % back amounts- usually anywhere from 1-26%. The only catch is that you MUST go through the ebates site to receive your cash back- I forget to a lot.
Where am I at so far?? I have been tracking my progress on an Excel spreadsheet and so far I have spent a total of $59.92 out of pocket for Christmas gifts. I have gotten Aiden 8 gifts (3 were free through the diaper rewards programs)and have spent $23.96. Logan has 3 gifts and I have spent $11.98. My mom has 3 gifts and I have spent $22.00. My nephew has one gift and I have spent $1.98.
If you do not want to take the time to do any of the programs I listed above, not going into debt for Christmas is still an option. Next Monday marks the 1st of August.  You will then have essentially 4 and a half months until Christmas. Make your Christmas budget and then divide it by 4 (or by how many paychecks you get per month X4). Try to stick to this budget. If you come under budget- put that amount towards savings for next year or for something else you are saving for.

No comments:

Post a Comment