Monday, March 31, 2014

Happy Birthday!

March is the month of birthdays for my little family. Aiden's birthday is on March 22nd and Logan's on March 29th. They love getting cards in the mail from their relatives. Their favorite part? MONEY!!! Oh the squeals of delight from a newly 5 and 3 year old.


I took them both to the toy store to let them spend their own money to pick out something.  After much debate, Logan (my 3 year old) decided on a toy cash register with toy money and everything. We get home and I open it up and take the money out of the packaging. Ones, fives, and tens along with coins. But do you know what else was in there? A credit card. I was baffled. It didn't say a "debit card" but "credit card." Being in the middle of my 3rd round of Financial Peace University, I KNEW what they were trying to do and it made me angry. They start drilling into children's heads that they NEED a credit card and can get anything they want right away. No need to worry about how you will eventually pay for it because well, that's not important right?


Well, the next day or so they both started asking me to take them to the store to buy something. I asked them "Do you have any money?" Their response? " No but you do, Momma." Red Flag!!!! About the same time, I was invited to participate in a book launch for Dave Ramsey and Rachel Cruze's new book Smart Money Smart Kids. This opportunity could not have some at a better time. This book is about how to introduce the concept of not only money but the concept of work to your children.


 The first thing that stuck out to me while reading the book was to teach your children to work for their money. For Aiden and Logan's age range, they recommend one "Red Family" job. This is a job you do just because you are a part of they family. Say, making your bed every morning. Then after that give them 1-2 jobs that they can get paid to do. A Job chart would be a great tool to help them remember their jobs and to keep track of their progress. For this age, they recommend immediate payment once the job has been completed to assist in the connection of work to payment.


We are working on deciding what job's the boys will do for payment. Once we get everything implemented, I will report back on our progress! I am really excited to see how this changes their thoughts about working/money, their spending/saving habits, and more.


Do your children have jobs they do around the house? I'd love to hear about them! Please comment below the name of the job and the child's age! Talk soon! And don't forget to check out the book I am so excited about Smart Money Smart Kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment